The Minister calls came few hours after some politicians in the state claiming to be the leaders of Madagali and Michika wrote INEC advising the commission to conduct the said polls in Michika and Madagali local government areas.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said that it will not dispatch any of its staff to Madagali and Michika local government areas of the State which were recently liberated to conduct the general polls.
The commission said that it office in Madagali and Michika have been bombed by insurgents and all government structured have been completely destroyed.
INEC which was reacting to evacuation of displaced persons to the recaptured towns, the INEC spokesperson Mrs Rifkatu Duku said, ‘’ We are not going to risk the lives of our staff, because we are yet to get the situation report from the security operatives.
‘’So you can not expect INEC to deploy staff for the elections in those areas, already INEC had created designated centres here in the state capital for IDPs elections.
Investigation revealed that some politicians from Michika and Madagali are mounting pressure on INEC to conduct elections in the areas which the police authority in the state declared as unsafe and refused to deploy any police man there.
But INEC insisted that it would not take unnecessary risk in order to satisfy the interest of some politicians. That there are designated areas in the state capital which the IDPs from Michika and Madagali are billed to cast their votes.
Many residents who fled Michika and Madagali said they are unsure of returning home despite successes reportedly recorded by the Nigerian military.
Over 148, 375 voters according to INEC statistics fled Madagali and Michika local governments in Adamawa State after they were raided and captured by Boko Haram.
The Federal Government had assured that it was determined to retake communities under Boko Haram control to ensure residents return home before the elections rescheduled to hold on March 28 and April 11.
This, it said, was responsible for the six-week shift in the date of the 2015 general elections. But most of the displaced persons at Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camps in Yola,and other places said they are not planning to return home any time soon.
“The military were on ground when Boko Haram came and took over our town. Though the same military has recaptured our land now, but we aren’t sure the insurgents won’t come back,” said an elderly man, Zira Yohanna at the NYSC IDP camp.
Though Yohanna lauded the military intervention, he said the security situation even after the recapture of their communities was cloudy. “The situation around our area in Garta , is not certain to us. I don’t think anybody wish to return now. Some of the Boko Haram men may have fled to return again,” he said.
Most displaced persons believe Boko Haram could spring surprises even after the six-week military operation, citing the isolated attacks and bomb explosions occurring in Borno and Yobe during the week as reason.
Some Boko Haram men had launched multiple attacks on Ngamboru-Ngala and three communities near Chibok, south of Borno where over 200 schoolgirls were abducted almost a year.
Another fleeing resident of Uba,Mr Habu Musa said they are afraid of returning to conduct elections, ‘’No, we will not return until after the elections,only last week, we heard that three Boko Haram suspects were nabbed in Michika.
‘’We are wary of these politicians, we are prepared to conduct our elections at theINEC designated centres ,” said Musa.
In her words, a female fleeing resident from Waga Chakawa in Madagali,Mrs Rejoice Watharda said, ‘’ We will stay till after elections after full normalcy is restored.
‘’It’s about ten kilometers away to Gwoza from Madagali. They are still in Gwoza holding sway and you know there is heavy fight and Boko Haram are on rampage,’’ she fears.
She added that the proximity of the area to Sambisa Forest, known as Boko Haram’s main camp, made the communities vulnerable to insurgent’s attacks.
‘’Boko Haram may have fled the battlefield around Gwoza and Sambisa areas, where the military also said it was carrying out a major offensive against the insurgents, yet they could resurface,’’ she said.
Community leaders, like Mr Abdullahi Njidda Damare of the Interfaith Mediation Centre however, believe the military would need to embark on confidence building at the expiration of the six-week operation so as to give people assurance on their security when they finally return to their communities.
“What is required is sensitization and confidence building by the military to assure the people that they will be secured even after the operation,” Damare said.
So also Mr Kwache David who was also affected by Boko Haram attack in Michika,said it is too early for the displaced residents to returned back home as terrorists had not been eliminated, despite significant success by the military.
He said what should be paramount in the minds of everyone is the reconstruction of the reclaimed territories that were totally destroyed by the insurgents.
He could recalled that recently some concerned residents of Michika has cautioned politicians against encouraging IDPs to return home for political reasons not minding the security threats .
‘It is disingenuous to accuse everyone who calls for restructuring as trying to break up the county. History tells us that that kind of cheap blackmail will not work as long as the underlying reasons for the agitations persist.’
‘The biggest challenge seems to be that we seem to be allowing moderate voices on this issue to be drowned out by the reckless utterances of a few rabble rousers on all sides who may be tools in the hands of those who do not wish this country well. These are some of the people who arrogate to themselves the toga of spokespersons of our diverse groups.’
-Ex VP Atiku Abubakar on Restructuring.
Trump son-in-law details contacts with Russians, denies collusion
Tearful parents of UK baby Charlie Gard agree to let him die
EU, UN Women Nigeria Charges Nigerian Youth on Gender Equality
Three policemen arrested over robbers’ escape from custody
CAS Abubakar charges junior airmen to uphold NAF standards
© CybokNews 2016 | All Rights Reserved