© 2017 CybokNews
Pursuant to Section 2 (d) and (e) on the Preamble of the PDP Constitution (As Amended in 2012) regarding equitable distribution of offices across the wards, local government areas, states and zones of the Federation, the Expanded National Caucus of the Party held on the 14th of July, 2016 at Yar’Adua Center, Abuja, mandated the National Caretaker Committee led by H.E. Senator Ahmed Makarfi, CON to constitute a zoning committee to zone the positions ahead of the forthcoming National Convention slated for Wednesday, August 17, 2016 in Port Harcourt, Rivers State; bearing in mind that the last National Convention approved the Zoning of Presidency in 2019 to the North.
In compliance with the directive, an 88-member National Zoning Committee was constituted and Inaugurated on Friday, July 22, 2016 at Yar’Adua Center, Abuja having H.E. Engr. David Umahi Nweze, the Executive Governor of Ebonyi State as the Chairman, H. E. Alhaji Ibrahim Hassan Dankwanbo, the Executive Governor of Gombe State as Co-Chairman and the former Governor of Benue State, H. E. Rt. Hon. Gabriel Suswam as Secretary, respectively. At the Inauguration, both Chairman and Co-Chairman were ably represented by their Deputies. The Committee was given one week to deliver its report.
After the Inauguration, the Committee met briefly at the Venue and agreed to reconvene on Monday July 25, 2016 at Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja by 6:00 Pm.
The Meeting which began at 6:58 PM with a Muslim Prayer said by the former Governor of Katsina State, H.E. Ibrahim Shehu Shema was presided over by the Chairman, H. E. Engr. David Umahi Nweze with the Co-Chairman, H. E. Alhaji Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo, and the Secretary of the Committee, H. E. Rt. Hon. Gabriel Suswam present. Also present were: Senator Ibrahim Mantu, former Deputy Senate President, Professor Jerry Gana, Senator Adolphus Wabara, former Senate President, former Governors and other members of the Committee.
The Chairman while making his opening remarks charged members on the need to approach the assignment with an open mind considering its importance to the progress of the Party.
As a guide, the Committee considered earlier zoning arrangements in the Party since its inception to date, and equally examined previous happenings in the Party in respect of restrictions to equal participation of members. Consequently, it desired a paradigm shift from the unsatisfactory practices within the Party operations. After robust deliberations on proposals presented by members, the Committee proposed as follows:
1. That all positions should be keenly contested for among the major zones they are zoned to in order to open the space and allow for full participation of members;
2. That the Chairmanship of the Party be Zoned to the Southern zones bearing in mind that the Presidential Ticket of the Party for 2019 was zoned to the Northern zones as approved by the National Convention in Port Harcourt, Rivers State on Saturday, May 21, 2016;
3. That the positions of Deputy National Chairman be returned to 1 & 11.
4. That the Six (6) National Vice Chairmen be included as members of the National Working Committee (NWC);
5. The Committee encouraged the Party to adopt a pattern of zoning by switching positions from North to South and accordingly, we have recommended as follows for 2016 Party elective positions:
6. Positions Zoned to Northern Zones
a. Deputy National Chairman 2
b. National Secretary
c. National Financial Secretary
d. National Publicity Secretary
e. National Auditor
f. National Woman Leader
g. Deputy National Treasurer
h. Deputy National Organizing Secretary
i. Deputy National Youth Leader
j. Deputy National Legal Adviser and
k. Deputy National Secretary
7. Positions Zoned to Southern Zones
a. National Chairman
b. Deputy National Chairman 1
c. National Treasurer
d. National Legal Adviser
e. National Youth Leader
f. National Organizing Secretary
g. Deputy National Publicity Secretary
h. Deputy National Woman Leader
i. Deputy National Auditor
j. Deputy National Financial Secretary
The Committee concluded its meeting and adopted this Report and the minutes today Tuesday July 26, 2016.
H.E. Chief Engr. David Umahi Nweze H. E. Dr. Ibrahim Dankwambo, OON
H. E. Rt. Hon. Gabriel Suswam