For being accused of financial misappropriation, especially in the last general elections, the National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), on Monday, said it is ready to make the party’s account public in line with the Freedom of Information Law.
It said that the national leadership of the party has remained very transparent in all its dealing since coming into office.
The PDP National Publicity Secretary,
Olisa Metuh, made the remark in a press conference on the state of the party in Abuja.
“No NWC member has been involved in anyway in any sleaze or embezzlement of party funds. Also, no member of the NWC has ever been accused of embezzlement of funds in any ministry, department or agencies of government at any level whatsoever.
“We state clearly that we have not been given any money rather this NWC generated billions of naira from the sale of forms from where we funded our candidates for governorship and state assembly elections in all the states of the federation in addition to funds released to key leaders including NWC and BoT members to prosecute the campaigns in their various areas.
“The NWC is willing and ready to make this account public in line with the freedom of information law,” Metuh said.
He explained that in the attempt to discredit the NWC, “these elements pushed out series of misleading information to the unsuspecting public alleging that the party leadership mismanaged the Presidential campaign funds, leading to the poor performance in the polls and as such NWC should be made to resign.”
His words: “You will recall that soon after the 2015 general elections, the media, especially the social media have been awash with sponsored negative publications and other insinuations against the leadership of our great party.
“You will also recall that we had hinted you on several occasions that some fifth columnists working with other parties had been concocting some frivolous allegations and sponsoring amorphous groups against the National Working Committee.
“We had also alerted the Nigerian public through you that some members of our party including ambitious aides and associates of President Goodluck Jonathan are using their perceived closeness to him to further their heinous agenda of injecting crisis in the party with a view to highjacking the structure for their selfish interests.
“When this wicked and baseless allegation was debunked by the NWC who publicly clarified that it was not involved in the handling of the campaign and its funding, and that such were exclusively managed by the Presidential Campaign Organization appointed by the President, these divisive elements in their desperation came up with another allegation claiming that the leadership embezzled funds belonging to the party.
“Even after the NWC also debunked this despicable allegation, showing that the party’s funds were judiciously appropriated for our state election campaigns, this group resorted to labeling the NWC with attempts to instigate President Jonathan, PDP governors and other well-meaning members of our party against the national leadership.
“This is s in addition to recent sponsored publications accusing the NWC of corruption with claims that members shared monies generated from the sale of forms from aspirants for the general elections.”
He said the main agenda of those perpetrating the act is not only to hijack the national leadership but also to create an impression of division and crisis and pave the way to lure some of the elected members to decamp to other parties, “apparently in view of the recent ruling of the Supreme Court which allows defection in the event of leadership crisis at their party’s national level.”
“However, we are happy to announce that the leader of our party, President Jonathan, the PDP governors and other key stakeholders of our party including governors and legislators-elect are deeply concerned about this development and have intervened to ensure the desired stability in our party,” Metuh said.
‘It is disingenuous to accuse everyone who calls for restructuring as trying to break up the county. History tells us that that kind of cheap blackmail will not work as long as the underlying reasons for the agitations persist.’
‘The biggest challenge seems to be that we seem to be allowing moderate voices on this issue to be drowned out by the reckless utterances of a few rabble rousers on all sides who may be tools in the hands of those who do not wish this country well. These are some of the people who arrogate to themselves the toga of spokespersons of our diverse groups.’
-Ex VP Atiku Abubakar on Restructuring.
Senate passes NFIA bill which limits EFCC’s powers
Ngige meets NLC,Corporate Affairs Mangement,Union on Wednesday over strike
Osinbajo to inaugurate $1.5bn Indorama fertilizer plant in Port Harcourt
We must empower youths to take up responsibilities- Dogara
EFCC recovers N328.9b from Conoil, Forte Oil, NNPC, Oando
© CybokNews 2016 | All Rights Reserved