<![CDATA[The Resident Electoral Commissioner, REC, of the Independent Electoral Commission, INEC, in Kano state, Mikhail Abdullahi, his wife, son and daughter died of suffocation from a fire outbreak in his residence in Kano on Friday.
The commissioner of Police in Kano Ibrahim Idris said the REC and family perished as a result of suffocation from smoke as they were unable to escape from the fire that started from an electrical fault from the air conditioner about 4.30am in the sitting room.
According to the Police commissioner, ‘at about 4.30am, the policeman on duty at the official residence of the Resident Electoral Commissioner in Kano state , Alhaji Munkaila Abdullahi, located on No. 2 Sir Kashim Ibrahim road , Nasarawa GRA, Kano , observed a fire emanating from a split air conditioner in the sitting room area. They made several efforts to contact the late REC, as well as repeatedly banging on the slide glass to no avail. As a last resort, the police smashed some of the toilet windows still without response. Thereafter, some police men and local guards broke the door leading to the sitting room and discovered that the sitting room has already been engulfed by fire and smoke.
They then went to the side of the door leading to the master bedroom, broke the door and entered. The REC and his family were not found inside the bedroom and the police then went to the toilet and they finally saw the lifeless body of the REC clinching the wife, son and daughter. They quickly rushed them to Murtala Mohammed Specialist Hospital where doctors confirmed them dead.
Meanwhile, the INEC chairman Prof. Attahiru Jega has described the deceased as one of his very important officers. He has since been buried according to Islamic rites.